Company: City of DeSoto, Texas
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Description Benefits Supplemental Questions
The purpose of the position is to provide complex administrative
support to the Mayor, City Council and City Manager. This is
accomplished by directing and overseeing the administration of all
City Charter amendments, elections and voting; administering
records management programs and open records requests; acting as
liaison for boards and commissions; and preparing, publishing and
maintaining all official documents, general correspondence and
reports. Other duties include establishing and enforcing internal
controls and processes.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes administrative duties by preparing and monitoring
budgets; administering oaths of office; maintaining calendars;
managing the elections process; posting meeting notices, preparing
agendas and packets, supervising support staff such as the
assistant city secretary; and ensuring all appropriate documents
are signed and retained.
- Manages records requests and retention by preparing and
retaining reports, correspondences, ordinances, resolutions,
proclamations and other documents; maintaining originals of
contracts and agreements, resolutions, proclamations, deeds,
easements, and minutes; assigning ordinance and resolution numbers;
administering the records management program; and overseeing the
compiling and printing of codification updates.
- Directs or participates in activities and special projects as
assigned by the Mayor, City Council and City Manager by defining
the purpose of the project; establishing and implementing action
plans; gathering necessary information and resources; resolving
conflicts; and reporting progress.
- Represents the administration before boards and commissions by
preparing agendas; attending meetings; offering information, advice
and guidance; arranging for support services; and reporting on
actions or proposals of the board or commission.
- Facilitates the provision of services to citizens or other
departments by serving as liaison between the Mayor/City Council
and the citizens in responding to inquiries, requests, and concerns
of the public; and responding to internal and external customers
regarding research and data.
- Directs and oversees the administration of charter amendments
and elections by serving as Early Voting Clerk; providing
information to candidates and officeholders; and conducting
training for election officials.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- Five years of experience as a City Secretary or Assistant City
Secretary, two of which must be in supervision
- OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid Texas driver's license with good driving record and
ability to maintain while employed
- Texas Municipal Clerk Certification Program completion or
ability to complete within five years
- Knowledge of state, federal and local laws governing municipal
- Knowledge of local, state and federal records management and
- Knowledge of project management
Skill in the operation and use of standard office software which
includes databases and presentation programs, along with standard
- Ability to effectively supervise and manage support staff
- Ability to prepare budgets, correspondence and reports
- Ability to meet with staff, elected officials and the public
and provide excellent customer service
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in
writing, with co-workers, the public, and elected and appointed
- Ability to work all required meetings which will include nights
Keywords: City of DeSoto, Texas, DeSoto , City Secretary, Other , Desoto, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!